Sunday, October 2, 2022
HomeNewsPort of Vancouver truckers warn of strike over changes to upcoming ban...

Port of Vancouver truckers warn of strike over changes to upcoming ban on older rigs

Cargo containers and ships at the Port of Metro Vancouver are seen in an aerial view in Vancouver on April 9, 2022. The United Truckers Association says its members have voted unanimously in favour of job action at the Port of Vancouver protesting a program that would force the phase out of older trucks. A statement from the association says its 639 members voted to support action that could "create shock waves across Canada's already fragile supply chain.

VANCOUVER – The United Truckers Affiliation says its members have voted unanimously in favour of job motion on the Port of Vancouver to protest a program that may drive the phaseout of older vehicles.

A press release from the affiliation says its 639 members voted to help motion that might “create shock waves throughout Canada’s already fragile provide chain.”

You are reading: Port of Vancouver truckers warn of strike over changes to upcoming ban on older rigs

A program aimed toward banning older vehicles from the port is about to begin in September, however the affiliation says the scheme will impose crippling prices on drivers.

The assertion says the port is not going to focus on the phaseout of all vehicles which can be 20 years outdated or older, regardless that most commercially licensed vehicles elsewhere in B.C. don’t face related measures.

Readmore : Father of ‘Cheer’ star Cassadee Dunlap hospitalized after being shot while trying to enter wrong apartment

Affiliation spokesman Gagan Singh says members have agreed to carry talks with the port in July however will “transfer ahead” with a shutdown in August if growing old vehicles are barred.

The port mentioned final month that this system is aimed toward enhancing air high quality throughout Metro Vancouver and was supposed to begin in February, however federal Transport Minister Omar Alghabra ordered extra negotiations.

The assertion from the affiliation says Alghabra has been silent since then and the port has reintroduced the so-called Rolling Truck Age Program with none substantial adjustments.

Readmore : Quebec health officials say there are 248 confirmed monkeypox cases in the province

“The minister goes to have to supply a special strategy within the coming weeks,” Singh says.

Extra particulars about potential job motion will probably be launched later this month, the assertion says.

This report by The Canadian Press was first printed July 5, 2022.

RELATED ARTICLES

Latest Articles

Related Posts