That is Half 6 of a sequence about municipal candidates’ views on local weather change. Every candidate shall be given equal alternative to reply to the next questions each week till the municipal election. Thursday, Sept. 29 is the ultimate deadline to obtain responses from candidates.
Listed here are this week’s responses from council candidates Lyle Saunders, Shauna Kingston and Eleanor Underwood.
1. Do you contemplate your self to be a “progressive” candidate and in that case, why?
2. The place will you set local weather change in your listing of priorities if elected (contemplating the town’s local weather emergency declaration)?
You are reading: Peterborough candidates answer climate change questions: Part 6
3. What would you do to scale back emissions by the mandatory 6 per cent yearly for the subsequent 4 years to fulfill the town’s C.C.A.P. goal of a forty five per cent discount in CO2 emissions by 2030?
4. Would you be keen to tackle the town’s local weather change portfolio?
LYLE SAUNDERS, MONAGHAN WARD 2
1. Sure. I contemplate myself to be a progressive candidate — with fiscal accountability. We have to put money into our metropolis to handle our present wants and in addition guarantee we’re constructing for the expansion Peterborough is anticipating within the subsequent 4 to 10 years. I’ve been an advocate for accessibility and inclusion for years as my oldest son has Autism. We have to guarantee our public companies, constructing and transit plans have the power to incorporate the wants and accessibility of everybody, no matter age or family revenue.
2. Local weather change mitigation and discount of environmental impacts are inside my high issues. We have to guarantee the town is following present carbon-reduction coverage and actively seeking out alternatives to do higher. We have to defend our group and guarantee new growth is applied with waste discount, sustainability and green-innovation. We have now a gem of a metropolis and we have to defend it. We’re already having many challenges concerning metropolis growth, mitigating round prior poisonous manufacturing. We have to guarantee any new business doesn’t create the identical blight.
3. I’d encourage actively seeking out alternatives to buy electrical or hybrid autos and tools, with transparency and public schooling on the acquisition value plus the ROI (return on funding), because the tax payers wish to see correct long-term pondering in addition to accountability on metropolis purchases. I’d encourage putting in E.V. charging stations on the Chamber of Commerce, Metropolis Corridor, Libraries, Carry-Locks, and many others. as this could not solely assist environmentally, but in addition assist enhance our foot site visitors downtown, serving to our small companies and tourism sector recuperate from COVID-19 losses.
4. If/once I’m elected to metropolis council, we’ll have 10 councillors and a brand new Mayor with numerous expertise and private passions. My hope is to have us collectively focus on every of our visions for the town and resolve respectfully who will lead and/or help throughout the metropolis’s portfolios as per our said visions and ability units. If requested, I’d be keen to help with this portfolio. Additionally if out there, I wish to be part of the town’s emergency administration and post-COVID restoration plans, as my post-secondary research and former employment expertise focuses on threat administration and enterprise continuity.
SHAUNA KINGSTON, NORTHCREST WARD 5
1. Sure — as a result of social and environmental justice are necessary to me. I’m invested in a future that’s equitable and sustainable and by serving on metropolis council, I can assist make that occur domestically. My priorities embrace decriminalizing poverty and homelessness; secure and environment friendly transit; reasonably priced housing; secure shelters; and preserving inexperienced areas. I imagine that Peterborough ought to shift its focus away from gentrification and make investments its energies in constructing an equitable and sustainable group.
2. Local weather change is excessive on my listing of priorities each personally and by way of serving on council. The local weather emergency spells out a really bleak future for in the present day’s youngsters and youth. There isn’t a future with out addressing local weather change. As a mum or dad of younger youngsters, I take that very severely. It’s council’s accountability to do their half in guaranteeing that there’s a future for our kids to get pleasure from. No quantity of short-term financial growth can override the local weather disaster and its penalties.
3. One of the crucial necessary issues Peterborough can do to scale back emissions is to discourage automotive tradition. I’d help the town’s transition to electrical autos and buses, and I imagine that accessible, secure, zero-emissions public transit is pivotal in lowering emissions. Nonetheless, it must be low cost and environment friendly sufficient to make it a viable possibility for folks’s hectic lives. Rather a lot has been performed to make Peterborough a walkable and cyclable metropolis, however extra must be performed to scale back our dependence on automobiles. City sprawl presents an actual problem for social and environmental justice in Peterborough. It consumes massive swaths of land that homes too few folks, destroys biodiversity and creates remoted communities of commuters. We have to rigorously design/redesign residential growth to scale back city sprawl and automotive site visitors to make sure that our neighbourhoods are locations the place folks can stay, work and socialize with out dependence on automobiles to entry the core elements of their day by day lives.
4. I’d be keen to take accountability for the town’s local weather change portfolio. I’m desirous to serve the town in any approach that contributes to elevated environmental and social justice in our group.
ELEANOR UNDERWOOD, OTONABEE WARD 1
1. If taking care of the nice of all residents makes me a progressive, then I’m a progressive. I’ll work exhausting to make sure this can be a higher metropolis for all.
2. Altering our habits to make sure a wholesome local weather must be a precedence for everybody. This may be achieved via schooling.
3. Planting bushes and sustaining our inexperienced house is without doubt one of the most cost-effective methods to sequester carbon. Additionally, persevering with and enhancing applications to make our houses extra energy-efficient would scale back C02 emissions and in addition scale back the vitality prices for householders. If the Enviornment and Aquatics Heart to be constructed at Morrow Park isn’t stopped, then there shall be restricted funds to handle local weather change initiatives. Additionally, it have to be famous that this Enviornment and Aquatics Heart goes to cement over a big piece of inexperienced house, which is able to make flooding within the space extra problematic than it already is.
4. It must be council’s determination to nominate probably the most certified particular person for the town’s Local weather Change Portfolio.
Tricia Clarkson is a local weather change columnist and co-chair for the Peterborough Alliance for Local weather Motion.